Here

And then this Bear, Pooh Bear, Winnie-the-Pooh, F.O.P. (Friend of Piglet's), R.C. (Rabbit's Companion), P.D. (Pole Discoverer), E.C. and T.F. (Eeyore's Comforter and Tail-finder)--in fact, Pooh himself--said something so clever that Christopher Robin could only look at him with mouth open and eyes staring, wondering if this was really the Bear of Very Little Brain whom he had know and loved so long.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

odds and ends

1 - re: the relationship of my alma mater (high school) to its alumni: recently, "kol bogrei rambam," the alumni-only version of the newsletter that slighted Noah Feldman, congratulated a certain graduate for being honored at the annual UTJ dinner. Is it just me or does that mean they just don't know what UTJ is? (ps - I imagine this was obvious, but disclaimer: the fact that I assume Maimo would have issues with UTJ doesn't mean I am taking a position on any of those issues.)
2 - A high school classmate of mine was recently seriously injured in a rock-climbing accident. Her hebrew name is Sarah Menuchah bat Mina Chanah, for the tehillim inclined... She is now in rehab, walking and interacting with people, but she was heavily sedated and essentially nonresponsive for a number of days. Said alumni newsletter (or, rather, the email to which the newsletter was attached) recorded this with: "Please note that Sara ________ ’99 is recovering at Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston from injuries sustained in a recreational rock-climbing mishap." Mishap"? Hello? (In all fairness, perhaps her family didn't want something too alarmist going out to hundreds of strangers, but it still struck me as odd)
3 - Perhaps at a later date I will unpack why I still feel the need to publish nitpicking criticisms of my high school on the internet. For now I'll just state the obvious: I have some unresolved issues with their M.O. (by which I meant modus operandi, but the other MO probably too...)
4 - blah. forthcoming post on my uneventful service as a non-juror.

3 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Abacaxi Mamao said...

Did you get the travel coffee cup in the mail? I was kind of annoyed that they would waste their money on that, but I suppose many people will now send in donations covering the cost of many such cups.

I have way too many of them. I seem to get them at every conference I attend.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I have any use for such a coffee cup, but I don't think I've gotten one.

My pet peeve about the alumni notices (and yes, I have my unresolved issues too) is the occasional mention of an alum who is described as the founder of his own academic discipline that basically amounts to linguistic creationism and is supported mostly by Christian fundamentalists and Aish HaTorah.


Granted, I realize that the newsletter can't necessarily reject items from people for being quacks (and this particular alum is apparently the son of a former faculty member), but I cringe every time nonetheless.

The quack's website's pretty funny though.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spoke too soon. The coffee cup was in today's mail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home