Here

And then this Bear, Pooh Bear, Winnie-the-Pooh, F.O.P. (Friend of Piglet's), R.C. (Rabbit's Companion), P.D. (Pole Discoverer), E.C. and T.F. (Eeyore's Comforter and Tail-finder)--in fact, Pooh himself--said something so clever that Christopher Robin could only look at him with mouth open and eyes staring, wondering if this was really the Bear of Very Little Brain whom he had know and loved so long.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

This weekend i saw two movies. well, one and a half. One i recommend. The other I ask for suggested replacements.

1- Bridge on the River Kwai - this seems to be on everyone's parents' list of favorite movies (well, Zev's dad and my mom), and with good reason. Very long, very good. And the moral of the story: War is bad for flowers and other living things. (ok, so I trivialized something serious and should be shot. but it's a really good movie.)

2 - Crown Heights. I expected a B-rate docudrama but figured it might be of proffessional interest. The docu-was minimal and the drama was as predicted, so about halfway through the cliched boys-make-friends-despite-cultural-tensions plot I stopped it. The movie is quite amusing to anyone who knows about Orthodoxy, since they get a lot of things almost-but-not-quite right. (eg, chassidim greet each other with "shalom" instead of "shalom aleichem," boys pronounce "tzeetzis," etc.) I caught a few similar near-misses on the hip-hop culture side, and I'm sure there are more to be caught by people who know more.
Some good scences. Mostly, just reminded me of yet another things I know nothing about and am not quite sure how to learn about. (suggestions welcome...) The oddest things is that 1991 was before most of my students, to whom it is all very nogeia, could talk...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home