Here

And then this Bear, Pooh Bear, Winnie-the-Pooh, F.O.P. (Friend of Piglet's), R.C. (Rabbit's Companion), P.D. (Pole Discoverer), E.C. and T.F. (Eeyore's Comforter and Tail-finder)--in fact, Pooh himself--said something so clever that Christopher Robin could only look at him with mouth open and eyes staring, wondering if this was really the Bear of Very Little Brain whom he had know and loved so long.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

grammar

I've always had a weak spot for grammar. So now, reading over what I wrote below, i wonder about the rules governing the use of the word "ghetto." "one of the most ghetto cars in the neighborhood" is certainly not a native speaker's usage. "my car is so ghetto"* would be fine, as would "ghetto-ass car."** but somehow ghetto can't be used as a stand-alone adjective unless following some version of the verb "to be."
*or, as my students said when I gave them photocopies of my ruler for lack of actual rulers for all, "this kind of ghetto!."
**in the same situation, "this ghetto-ass school!"

If you know things about grammar or the ghetto, and have something to say (eg, words that behave similarly) do tell...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home